Pronunciation: (slä'lum, -lōm), [key]
1. Skiing.a downhill race over a winding and zigzag course marked by poles or gates. Cf. giant slalom.
2. any winding or zigzag course marked by obstacles or barriers, as one in which automobiles are tested for maneuverability or drivers for reaction time.
1. Skiing.to ski in or as if in a slalom.
2. to move in a winding or zigzag fashion; weave.
3. to follow a course with many twists and turns.
of, for, or designating a zigzag course with obstacles, barriers, or the like: an excellent slalom skier.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.