Pronunciation: (slot), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/slot.html on line 73 [key]
—n., v., slot•ted, slot•ting.
1. a narrow, elongated depression, groove, notch, slit, or aperture, esp. a narrow opening for receiving or admitting something, as a coin or a letter.
2. a place or position, as in a sequence or series: The program received a new time slot on the broadcasting schedule.
3. Ling.(esp. in tagmemics) a position having a specific grammatical function within a construction into which any one of a set of morphemes or morpheme sequences can be fit. Cf. filler (def. 9).
4. an assignment or job opening; position: I applied for the slot in management training.
a. the interior opening in a copy desk, occupied by the chief copy editor.
b. the job or position of chief copy editor: He had the slot at the Gazette for 20 years. Cf. rim (def. 7).
6. an allocated, scheduled time and place for an aircraft to take off or land, as authorized by an airport or air-traffic authority: 40 more slots for the new airline at U.S. airports.
7. Informal.See slot machine (def. 1).
8. Aeron.See under slat 1 (def. 2).
9. Ornith.a narrow notch or other similar opening between the tips of the primaries of certain birds, which during flight helps to maintain a smooth flow of air over the wings.
10. Ice Hockey.an unmarked area near the front of an opponent's goal that affords a vantage for an attacking player.
11. See expansion slot. .
1. to provide with a slot or slots; make a slot in.
2. to place or fit into a slot: We've slotted his appointment for four o'clock.
to fit or be placed in a slot.
Pronunciation: (slot), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/slot.html on line 203 [key]
1. the track or trail of a deer or other animal, as shown by the marks of the feet.
2. a track, trace, or trail of something.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.