Pronunciation: (smōl'dur), [key]
1. to burn without flame; undergo slow or suppressed combustion.
2. to exist or continue in a suppressed state or without outward demonstration: Hatred smoldered beneath a polite surface.
3. to display repressed feelings, as of indignation, anger, or the like: to smolder with rage.
1. dense smoke resulting from slow or suppressed combustion.
2. a smoldering fire. Also,smoulder.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.