Pronunciation: (sniv'ul), [key]
—v., -eled, -el•ing or (esp. Brit.) -elled, -el•ling,
1. to weep or cry with sniffling.
2. to affect a tearful state; whine.
3. to run at the nose; have a runny nose: She sniveled from the cold.
4. to draw up mucus audibly through the nose: Stop sniveling and use your handkerchief.
to utter with sniveling or sniffling.
1. weak, whining, or pretended weeping.
2. a light sniffle, as in weeping.
3. a hypocritical show of feeling: a sentimental snivel.
4. mucus running from the nose.
5. snivels,a sniveling condition; a slight cold; sniffles (usually prec. by the).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.