Pronunciation: (sov'rin, sov'ur-in, suv'-), [key]
1. a monarch; a king, queen, or other supreme ruler.
2. a person who has sovereign power or authority.
3. a group or body of persons or a state having sovereign authority.
4. a gold coin of the United Kingdom, equal to one pound sterling: went out of circulation after 1914.
1. belonging to or characteristic of a sovereign or sovereignty; royal.
2. having supreme rank, power, or authority.
3. supreme; preeminent; indisputable: a sovereign right.
4. greatest in degree; utmost or extreme.
5. being above all others in character, importance, excellence, etc.
6. efficacious; potent: a sovereign remedy.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.