Pronunciation: (spôn), [key]
1. Zool.the mass of eggs deposited by fishes, amphibians, mollusks, crustaceans, etc.
2. Mycol.the mycelium of mushrooms, esp. of the species grown for the market.
3. a swarming brood; numerous progeny.
4. (used with a sing. or pl. v.) any person or thing regarded as the offspring of some stock, idea, etc.
to deposit eggs or sperm directly into the water, as fishes.
1. to produce (spawn).
2. to give birth to; give rise to: His sudden disappearance spawned many rumors.
3. to produce in large number.
4. to plant with mycelium.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.