Pronunciation: (skwelch), [key]
1. to strike or press with crushing force; crush down; squash.
2. to put down, suppress, or silence, as with a crushing retort or argument.
1. to make a splashing sound.
2. to tread heavily in water, mud, wet shoes, etc., with such a sound.
1. a squelched or crushed mass of anything.
2. a splashing sound.
3. an act of squelching or suppressing, as by a crushing retort or argument.
4. Also called squelch' cir"cuit, noise suppressor. Electronics.a circuit in a receiver, as a radio receiver, that automatically reduces or eliminates noise when the receiver is tuned to a frequency at which virtually no carrier wave occurs.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.