Pronunciation: (stā'jing), [key]
1. the act, process, or manner of presenting a play on the stage.
2. a temporary platform or structure of posts and boards for support, as in building; scaffolding.
3. Rocketry.the in-flight separation of a rocket stage from the remaining stages of a multistage missile or launch vehicle.
4. the business of running stagecoaches.
5. the act of traveling by stages or by stagecoach.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.