Pronunciation: (stand'ôf", -of"), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/standoff.html on line 71 [key]
1. a standing off or apart; aloofness.
2. a tie or draw, as in a game.
3. something that counterbalances.
4. a prop for holding the top of a ladder away from the vertical surface against which it is leaning.
5. Elect.an insulator that supports a conductor above a surface.
standing off or apart; aloof; reserved: an uncordial and standoff manner. Also,stand'-off".
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.