Pronunciation: (stärd), [key]
1. set or studded with or as with stars.
2. decorated with a star, as of an order.
3. marked with a starlike figure or spot, esp. an asterisk.
4. Ling.(of a form or construction) ungrammatical or otherwise unacceptable: so called because of the convention of placing an asterisk before such a form. Cf. asterisk (def. 2).
5. Historical Ling.(of a form) hypothetical or reconstructed, but unattested. Cf. asterisk (def. 3).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.