Pronunciation: (stō'nē), [key]
—adj., ston•i•er, ston•i•est.
1. full of or abounding in stones or rock: a stony beach.
2. pertaining to or characteristic of stone.
3. resembling or suggesting stone, esp. in its hardness.
4. unfeeling; merciless; obdurate: a stony heart.
5. motionless or rigid; without expression, as the eyes or a look: a hard, stony stare.
6. petrifying; stupefying: stony fear.
7. having a stone or stones, as fruit.
8. Slang.stone-broke. Also,stoney.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.