Pronunciation: (strān'jur), [key]
1. a person with whom one has had no personal acquaintance: He is a perfect stranger to me.
2. a newcomer in a place or locality: a stranger in town.
3. an outsider: They want no strangers in on the club meetings.
4. a person who is unacquainted with or unaccustomed to something (usually fol. by to): He is no stranger to poverty.
5. a person who is not a member of the family, group, community, or the like, as a visitor or guest: Our town shows hospitality to strangers.
6. Law.one not privy or party to an act, proceeding, etc.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.