Pronunciation: (sut'l-tē), [key]
1. the state or quality of being subtle.
2. delicacy or nicety of character or meaning.
3. acuteness or penetration of mind; delicacy of discrimination.
4. a fine-drawn distinction; refinement of reasoning: the subtleties of logic.
5. something subtle.
6. Hist.an elaborate confection, ornate in construction and ornamentation, sometimes edible but more often made and used as a decoration for a table or buffet.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.