Pronunciation: (sOO), [key]
—v., sued, su•ing.
1. to institute a process in law against; bring a civil action against: to sue someone for damages.
2. to woo or court.
3. Obs.to make petition or appeal to.
1. to institute legal proceedings, or bring suit: She threatened to sue.
2. to make petition or appeal: to sue for peace.
3. to court a woman.
4. sue out,to make application for or apply for and obtain (a writ or the like) from a court of law.
(sOO; Fr. sy),
1. Eu•gène Pronunciation: (œ-zhen'), [key] (Marie Joseph Sue), 1804–57, French novelist.
2. a female given name, form of Susan, Susanna, Susannah.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.