Pronunciation: (suf'u-kāt"), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/suffocate.html on line 79 [key]
—v., -cat•ed, -cat•ing.
1. to kill by preventing the access of air to the blood through the lungs or analogous organs, as gills; strangle.
2. to impede the respiration of.
3. to discomfort by a lack of fresh or cool air.
4. to overcome or extinguish; suppress.
1. to become suffocated; stifle; smother.
2. to be uncomfortable due to a lack of fresh or cool air.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.