Pronunciation: (sOO"pur-nOO'mu-rer"ē, -nyOO'-), [key]
—adj., n., pl. -ar•ies.
1. being in excess of the usual, proper, or prescribed number; additional; extra.
2. associated with a regular body or staff as an assistant or substitute in case of necessity.
1. a supernumerary or extra person or thing.
2. a supernumerary official or employee.
3. a person who appears in a play or film without speaking lines or as part of a crowd; walk-on; extra.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.