Pronunciation: (sim'pu-thīz"), [key]
—v.i., -thized, -thiz•ing.
1. to be in sympathy or agreement of feeling; share in a feeling (often fol. by with).
2. to feel a compassionate sympathy, as for suffering or trouble (often fol. by with).
3. to express sympathy or condole (often fol. by with).
4. to be in approving accord, as with a person or cause: to sympathize with a person's aims.
5. to agree, correspond, or accord. Also, esp. Brit.,sym'pa•thise".
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.