Pronunciation: (tānt), [key]
1. a trace of something bad, offensive, or harmful.
2. a trace of infection, contamination, or the like.
3. a trace of dishonor or discredit.
4. Obs.color; tint.
1. to modify by or as if by a trace of something offensive or deleterious.
2. to infect, contaminate, corrupt, or spoil.
3. to sully or tarnish (a person's name, reputation, etc.).
4. Obs.to color or tint.
to become tainted; spoil.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.