Pronunciation: (tāk'ôf", -of"), [key]
1. a taking or setting off; the leaving of the ground, as in leaping or in beginning a flight in an airplane.
2. a taking off from a starting point, as in beginning a race.
3. the place or point at which a person or thing takes off.
4. a humorous or satirical imitation; burlesque.
5. Mach.a shaft geared to a main shaft for running auxiliary machinery.
6. a branch connection to a pipe, electric line, etc. Also,take'-off".
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.