Pronunciation: (tan'dum), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/tandem.html on line 73 [key]
1. one following or behind the other: to drive horses tandem.
2. in tandem,
a. in single file: They swam in tandem.
b. in association or partnership.
having animals, seats, parts, etc., arranged tandem or one behind another.
1. a vehicle, as a truck, tractor, or trailer, in which a pair or pairs of axles are arranged in tandem.
2. See tandem bicycle.
3. See tandem trailer (def. 1).
4. a team of horses harnessed one behind the other.
5. a two-wheeled carriage with a high driver's seat, drawn by two or more horses so harnessed.
6. any of various mechanisms having a tandem arrangement.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.