Pronunciation: (ter'us), [key]
—n., v., -raced, -rac•ing.
1. a raised level with a vertical or sloping front or sides faced with masonry, turf, or the like, esp. one of a series of levels rising one above another.
2. the top of such a construction, used as a platform, garden, road, etc.
3. a nearly level strip of land with a more or less abrupt descent along the margin of the sea, a lake, or a river.
4. the flat roof of a house.
5. an open, often paved area connected to a house or an apartment house and serving as an outdoor living area; deck.
6. an open platform, as projecting from the outside wall of an apartment; a large balcony.
7. a row of houses on or near the top of a slope.
8. a residential street following the top of a slope.
to form into or furnish with a terrace or terraces.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.