Pronunciation: (thûr'ō-bred", -u-bred", thur'-), [key]
1. of pure or unmixed breed, stock, or race, as a horse or other animal; bred from the purest and best blood.
2. (sometimes cap.) of or pertaining to the Thoroughbred breed of horses.
3. (of a person) having good breeding or education.
1. (cap.) one of a breed of horses, to which all racehorses belong, originally developed in England by crossing Arabian stallions with European mares.
2. a thoroughbred animal.
3. a well-bred or well-educated person.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.