Pronunciation: (thret'n), [key]
1. to utter a threat against; menace: He threatened the boy with a beating.
2. to be a menace or source of danger to: Sickness threatened her peace of mind.
3. to offer (a punishment, injury, etc.) by way of a threat: They threatened swift retaliation.
4. to give an ominous indication of: The clouds threaten rain.
1. to utter or use threats.
2. to indicate impending evil or mischief.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.