Pronunciation: (thwôrt), [key]
1. to oppose successfully; prevent from accomplishing a purpose.
2. to frustrate or baffle (a plan, purpose, etc.).
a. to cross.
b. to extend across.
1. a seat across a boat, esp. one used by a rower.
2. a transverse member spreading the gunwales of a canoe or the like.
1. passing or lying crosswise or across; cross; transverse.
2. perverse; obstinate.
3. adverse; unfavorable.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.