Pronunciation: (tērs), [key]
1. an old measure of capacity equivalent to one third of a pipe, or 42 wine gallons.
2. a cask or vessel holding this quantity.
3. Also,terce. Eccles.the third of the seven canonical hours, or the service for it, originally fixed for the third hour of the day (or 9 a.m.).
4. Fencing.the third of eight defensive positions.
5. Piquet.a sequence of three cards of the same suit, as an ace, king, and queen (tierce' ma'jor), or a king, queen, and jack (tierce' mi'nor).
6. Obs.a third or third part.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.