Pronunciation: (trak'shun), [key]
1. the adhesive friction of a body on some surface, as a wheel on a rail or a tire on a road.
2. the action of drawing a body, vehicle, train, or the like, along a surface, as a road, track, railroad, or waterway.
3. Med.the deliberate and prolonged pulling of a muscle, organ, or the like, as by weights, to correct dislocation, relieve pressure, etc.
4. transportation by means of railroads.
5. the act of drawing or pulling.
6. the state of being drawn.
7. attracting power or influence; attraction.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.