Pronunciation: (tru-mon'tān, tram'un-tān"), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/tramontane.html on line 75 [key]
1. being or situated beyond the mountains.
2. beyond the Alps as viewed from Italy; transalpine.
3. of, pertaining to, or coming from the other side of the mountains.
4. foreign; barbarous.
1. a person who lives beyond the mountains: formerly applied by the Italians to the peoples beyond the Alps, and by the latter to the Italians.
2. a foreigner; outlander; barbarian.
3. a violent, polar wind from the northwest that blows in southern France.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.