Pronunciation: (trib'yu-ter"ē), [key]
—n., pl. -tar•ies,
1. a stream that flows to a larger stream or other body of water.
2. a person or nation that pays tribute in acknowledgment of subjugation or the like.
1. (of a stream) flowing into a larger stream or other body of water.
2. furnishing subsidiary aid; contributory.
3. paying or required to pay tribute.
4. paid as tribute.
5. subject; subordinate: a tributary nation.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.