Pronunciation: (trī'umf, -umf), [key]
1. the act, fact, or condition of being victorious or triumphant; victory; conquest.
2. a significant success or noteworthy achievement; instance or occasion of victory.
3. exultation resulting from victory; joy over success.
4. Rom. Hist.the ceremonial entrance into Rome of a victorious commander with his army, spoils of war, and captives, authorized by the senate in honor of an important military or naval victory. Cf. ovation (def. 2).
5. a public pageant, spectacle, or the like.
1. to gain a victory; be victorious; win.
2. to gain mastery; prevail: to triumph over fear.
3. to be successful; achieve success.
4. to exult over victory; rejoice over success.
5. to be elated or glad; rejoice proudly; glory.
6. to celebrate a triumph, as a victorious Roman commander.
to conquer; triumph over.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.