Pronunciation: (up'rīt", up-rīt'), [key]
1. erect or vertical, as in position or posture.
2. raised or directed vertically or upward.
3. adhering to rectitude; righteous, honest, or just: an upright person.
4. being in accord with what is right: upright dealings.
1. the state of being upright or vertical.
2. something standing erect or vertical, as a piece of timber.
3. an upright piano.
4. Usually, uprights. Chiefly Football.the goalposts.
in an upright position or direction; vertically.
to make upright.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.