Pronunciation: (vā'kun-sē), [key]
1. the state of being vacant; emptiness.
2. a vacant, empty, or unoccupied place, as untenanted lodgings or offices: This building still has no vacancies.
3. a gap; opening; breach.
4. an unoccupied position or office: a vacancy on the Supreme Court.
5. lack of thought or intelligence; vacuity: a look of utter vacancy.
6. Crystall.(in a crystal) an imperfection resulting from an unoccupied lattice position. Cf. interstitial (def. 3).
7. Archaic.absence of activity; idleness.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.