Pronunciation: (vûr'bul), [key]
1. of or pertaining to words: verbal ability.
2. consisting of or in the form of words: verbal imagery.
3. expressed in spoken words; oral rather than written: verbal communication; verbal agreement.
4. consisting of or expressed in words (as opposed to actions): a verbal protest.
5. pertaining to or concerned with words only (as opposed to ideas, facts, or realities): a purely verbal distinction between two concepts.
6. corresponding word for word; verbatim: a verbal translation.
7. using words: verbal facility.
8. based on the use of words (as opposed to other activity): a verbal score in a test; verbal IQ.
a. of, pertaining to, or derived from a verb.
b. used in a sentence as or like a verb, as participles and infinitives.
Gram.a word, particularly a noun or adjective, derived from a verb.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.