Pronunciation: (vet'ur-un, ve'trun), [key]
1. a person who has had long service or experience in an occupation, office, or the like: a veteran of the police force; a veteran of many sports competitions.
2. a person who has served in a military force, esp. one who has fought in a war: a Vietnam veteran.
1. (of soldiers) having had service or experience in warfare: veteran troops.
2. experienced through long service or practice; having served for a long period: a veteran member of Congress.
3. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of veterans.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.