Pronunciation: (vik'tu-rē, vik'trē), [key]
1. a success or triumph over an enemy in battle or war.
2. an engagement ending in such triumph: American victories in the Pacific were won at great cost.
3. the ultimate and decisive superiority in any battle or contest: The new vaccine effected a victory over poliomyelitis.
4. a success or superior position achieved against any opponent, opposition, difficulty, etc.: a moral victory.
5. (cap.) the ancient Roman goddess Victoria, often represented in statues or on coins as the personification of victory.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.