Pronunciation: (vou), [key]
1. a solemn promise, pledge, or personal commitment: marriage vows; a vow of secrecy.
2. a solemn promise made to a deity or saint committing oneself to an act, service, or condition.
3. a solemn or earnest declaration.
4. take vows, to enter a religious order or house.
1. to make a vow of; promise by a vow, as to God or a saint: to vow a crusade or a pilgrimage.
2. to pledge or resolve solemnly to do, make, give, observe, etc.: They vowed revenge.
3. to declare solemnly or earnestly; assert emphatically (often fol. by a clause as object): She vowed that she would take the matter to court.
4. to dedicate or devote by a vow: to vow oneself to the service of God.
1. to make a vow.
2. to make a solemn or earnest declaration.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.