Pronunciation: (wā'fur), [key]
1. a thin, crisp cake or biscuit, often sweetened and flavored.
2. a thin disk of unleavened bread, used in the Eucharist, as in the Roman Catholic Church.
3. a thin disk of dried paste, gelatin, adhesive paper, or the like, used for sealing letters, attaching papers, etc.
4. Med.a thin sheet of dry paste or the like, used to enclose a powder to be swallowed.
5. any small, thin disk, as a washer or piece of insulation.
6. Electronics.a thin slice of semiconductor used as a base material on which single transistors or integrated-circuit components are formed.
to seal, close, or attach by means of a wafer or wafers: to wafer a letter.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.