Pronunciation: (wô'king), [key]
1. considered as a person who can or does walk or something that walks: The hospital is caring for six walking patients. He's walking proof that people can lose weight quickly.
2. used for or as an aid in walking: She put on her walking shoes and went out.
3. suitable for, characterized by, or consisting of walking: True sightseeing is a walking affair. We took a walking tour of Spain.
4. of or pertaining to an implement or machine drawn by a draft animal and operated or controlled by a person on foot: a walking plow.
5. of or pertaining to a mechanical part that moves back and forth.
1. the act or action of a person or thing that walks: Walking was the best exercise for him.
2. the manner or way in which a person walks.
3. the state or condition of the surface, terrain, etc., on which a person walks: The walking is dry over here.
4. See race walking.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.