Pronunciation: (welz), [key]
1. Henry, 1805–78, U.S. businessman: pioneered in banking, stagecoach services, and express shipping.
2. H(erbert) G(eorge), 1866–1946, English novelist and historian.
3. Horace, 1815–48, U.S. dentist: pioneered use of nitrous oxide as an anesthetic.
4. Ida Bell (Ida Bell Wells-Barnett), 1862–1931, U.S. journalist and civil-rights leader.
5. a historic town in E Somersetshire, in SW England: cathedral. 8586.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.