Pronunciation: (hwit'nē, wit'-), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/whitney.html on line 111 [key]
1. Eli, 1765–1825, U.S. manufacturer and inventor.
2. John Hay, 1904–82, U.S. diplomat and newspaper publisher.
3. Josiah Dwight, 1819–96, U.S. geologist.
4. William Dwight, 1827–94, U.S. philologist and lexicographer (brother of Josiah Dwight).
5. Mount, a mountain in E California, in the Sierra Nevada. 14,495 ft. (4418 m).
6. a male given name.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.