Pronunciation: (woom'un), [key]
—n., pl. wom•enPronunciation: (wim'in), [key]
1. the female human being (distinguished from man).
2. an adult female person.
3. a female attendant to a lady of rank.
4. a wife.
5. the nature, characteristics, or feelings often attributed to women; womanliness.
6. a sweetheart or paramour; mistress.
7. a female employee or representative: A woman from the real estate agency called.
8. a female person who cleans house, cooks, etc.; housekeeper: The woman will be in to clean today.
9. women collectively: Woman is no longer subordinate to man.
10. be one's own woman, (of females) to be free from restrictions, control, or dictatorial influence; be independent.
1. to put into the company of a woman.
2. to equip or staff with women.
3. Obs.to cause to act or yield like a woman.
1. of women; womanly.
2. female: a woman plumber.
a combining form of woman: chairwoman; forewoman; spokeswoman.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.